posted on July 20, 2017 05:05
What’s not to love about Maryland weather? Hazy, hot and humid makes for great swimming, unless…you develop algae. Our water care experts are seeing an increase in “mustard algae”. This is a stubborn form of pool algae that typically worsens in hot, rainy weather. It is yellowish brown in appearance and may resemble dirt or sand. The algae spores can be airborne therefore making it difficult to stop the spread and eliminate its growth. Mustard algae can live outside of your swimming pool. So, what can you do if you develop this nuisance?
1. Test water prior to treatment and at least every 2 weeks thereafter. It is important to keep pH, alkalinity and sanitizer levels in correct range always.
2. Add 1 lb. of BurnOut 3 or BurnOut 35 per 6,000 gallons or 1 lb. of Smart Shock per 12,000 gallons. Add with the pump running according to their label instructions. Shock should be added every week.
3. Circulate 1 hour to distribute product throughout the pool.
4. With pump and filter running, add 16 oz. of Banish per 10,000 gallons directly into pool water in area of heaviest growth. It is recommended to run your pump and filter for 8-12 hours (mimimum) a day all season
5. Circulate 24 hours.
6. Do not swim until sanitizer residual has returned to the ideal range.
7. Brush pool surfaces. Regular brushing and vacuuming will help diminish algae growth.
8. Clean the filter with Strip Kwik.
9. Add BioGuard Optimizer. Optimizer Improves water quality while suppressing algae growth. It helps create clear swimming pool water and leaves water soft and soothing.
In addition to the above instructions, here are a few other reminders. Wash all bathing suits in the washing machine with warm water and run through the dryer. Wash all pool toys, floats, ladders, steps, hand-held nets and brushes, solar blankets, etc. Toys and handhelds can be placed in the pool and treated while you are treating the pool water.
We don’t want you to “miss a moment” of fun and enjoyment poolside this summer. Sign up for the True-Blue Promise, now through July 31, 2017 and we “promise” to treat your cloudy water or algae…FREE of charge. All you need to do is bring in a water sample at least every 2 weeks and continue to use BioGuard products. Stop by the retail store and our experienced staff will take care of the rest.